March 17th, 2010Ginger Tea Pack
by Robert McCandless, M.H.
A Ginger tea pack is a simple home treatment for congestion in any part of the body - particularly dry cough with thick, sticky phlegm in lungs or sinuses. It may help with stiff, sore muscles or swollen lymph glands. It is cheap, (probably under $5 for the ginger) and takes 2-3 hours. It is easy if you have a friend to help you. Evening before bed is best, so you can rest deeply.
What you will need:
- a big piece of fresh ginger root
- a grater
- a big pot
- a stove
- a sink
- 3 medium bath towels
- 2 large bath towels
- a bed, blankets, & pillow
How to do it:
1. Fill big pot with water.
2. Bring water to a boil, turn heat to low.
3. Grate the ginger, put it in the pot.
4. Simmer on low for 2 hours with lid on.
5. Keep pot on low heat. Put folded towel on top of pot to keep it warm.
6. Put big bath towel on bed & smaller towel on pillow (to catch drips).
7. Patient may drink some hot herbal tea or ginger tea.
8. Have “patient” lie on the towels on the bed.
9. Keep patient comfortably warm with blankets.
10. Hold both ends of towel & twist it into a spiral shape.
11. Dip middle of towel into ginger tea without your hands touching the hot tea.
12. Twist towel until it doesn’t drip.
13. Carefully open hot towel & lay it on patient’s chest (sinus or wherever).
14. Towel should be hot but not scalding.
15. Cover wet towel with big fuzzy bath towel to keep the heat in.
16. Leave hot towel on approx. 5 minutes or until it is no longer hot.
17. Dip another towel in cold water from cold tap. Wring out so it doesn’t drip.
18. Remove first wet towel, apply cold towel for approx. 1 minute.
19. Remove cold towel, apply freshly dipped hot ginger towel.
20. Alternate 5 min hot, 1 min cold, until all hot tea is gone.
21. Cover patient comfortably & let them sleep.
What you may expect:
Relief from pain and congestion, easier breathing in lung and sinus areas. Some people have coughed up loosened phlegm the next day, others have had runny noses for a week or more. Increased energy and vitality are common results.
© Copyright 2010 Herbal Legacy. All rights reserved. No reposting or reproduction of any kind without written consent is allowed.