January 20th, 2010Nutritional Yeast
Nutritional Yeast is grown on a mixture of cane and beet molasses. B-vitamins are added during the process to provide the yeast with the nutrients it needs to grow. When harvested, the yeast is washed, pasteurized, and dried before it is ready for market.
Vegans and vegetarians have used it for years as a source of vitamin B-12. Health seekers who strive to eat primarily a whole foods diet use nutritional yeast because it tastes good with certain foods and adds extra nutrients to their diet. Nutritional yeast contains 18 amino acids (forming the complete protein) and 15 minerals.
Unlike baking yeast, nutritional yeast is grown solely for its nutritional value. It should not be confused with brewer’s yeast, a by-product of breweries and distilleries. Nutritional yeast is a low-fat, low-sodium, kosher, non-GMO food that contains no added sugars or preservatives.
Many manufacturers of Nutritional Yeast enrich it with B-vitamins and iron. It is extremely rich in a number of nutrients. Here is the nutritional value per heaping tablespoon of Nutritional Yeast from a popular manufacturer – Red Star:
• Calories – 60
• Total Fat – 1 gram
• Carbohydrates – 7 grams
• Fiber – 4 grams
• Protein – 8 grams
• Vitamin B1 (thiamin) – 640% Daily Value (DV)
• Vitamin B2 (riboflavin) – 560% DV
• Vitamin B3 (niacin) – 280% DV
• Vitamin B6 – 480% DV
• Vitamin B9 (folic acid) – 60% DV
• Vitamin B12 – 130% DV
So how do you use Nutritional Yeast?
• Use it as a condiment sprinkled on the evening meal of rice and vegetables, or on popcorn for snack time.
• Add 1/2 teaspoon per 1 cup liquid to gravies and sauces.
• Add a tablespoon per 2 cups mixture to vegetable, bean and grain burgers.
• Make a yeast “cheese” to adorn a vegan pizza or lasagna.
• Add it to your cat or dog’s food to help eliminate fleas and promote a healthy coat and good general nutrition.
We highly recommend that you add this delicious, nutritious food to your diet. You can purchase it in most health food markets.
References and more information:
Printable Version: http://www.herballegacy.com/Nutritional_Yeast.pdf
© Copyright 2010 Herbal Legacy. All rights reserved. No reposting or reproduction of any kind without written consent is allowed.